Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Expedition, January 9th-May 3rd 2009

I am embarking on a 13-week volunteer expedition throughout Asia!

Starting in Thailand, I will spend 5 weeks immersed in community English teaching programs which run in conjunction with a TEFL certification training. I will have the opportunity to become a qualified teacher by the end of the 5 week stay. The expedition here focuses on building local capacity by providing English language and environmental education to the local people, so they can maximize from the benefits of the resurging tourist trade.

I will then spend 4 weeks in India helping with community development and teaching basic English and Mathematics to underprivileged primary school children, giving them a better start in life through education. I will also be working with tribal communities in Rajasthan, northwest
India. The local schools are understaffed and under-resourced. Volunteering in the schools helps to make it possible for all the children to be taught effectively, whilst taking the pressure off the teachers themselves. Some of the schools have 90 children and only ONE teacher!! With volunteer help they split the class sizes to enable us to focus our attention on individual children and their specific needs.

From India, I will spend 4 weeks in Kathmandu, Nepal. Nepal is a developing country where more than 40% of the total population lives below the basic poverty line. Thousands of small children are deprived of educational opportunities here because of many social issues and the lack of schooling opportunities. Volunteer placement in Nepal includes: schools and orphanages and/or working on environmental issues in the region.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool blog! i am so impressed. we are praying for you and your expedition! we look forward to seeing God work through you in a mighty way! love you! aunt kim

Lindsay Luttrell said...

Heeeey! Love the blog!

DJ Koalabee said...

god bless you sister! good luck :)