Today was my last day at the school in San Rafael. I woke up well rested and excited to see the niños. I knew it would be sad, but did not expect to shed any tears.
We started the morning with-Camp-as they call it. We play soccer and braid hair in this huge field a short walk from the school. Marko bought the boys a new futbol, they were super stoked.
Pam, Lyndsey, and I sat with the girls as they braided my hair and tortured Lyndsey for mas photos, mas photos. I had talked to a couple of the kids in my class the day before about my leaving, but wasnt quite sure they really understood. Eric and I were their first teachers as we had the primero grado. And the first volunteers to waltz in and out of there lives...
A couple of the clinger girls asked me today...porque?
Ummm....how do I explain this....in Spanish? I set out on this trip in January and the next adventure is in Nicaragua. I didnt expect to fall in love with all of you... Im sorry, I have to leave now.
Heartbreaking.
Now, I am feeling a bit self-righteous writing this and I know they will be fine and they will cling to new volunteers as they come and go. But for now, for today...I think a few of them were sad. I was, anyway.
Carolina and Erica (the two Honduran teachers) called all the kids out to the front of the school to say goodbye to me and to give me their cards and their hugs. They also sang a song for me...Bravo.
And then I cried. UGH. I didnt expect to cry...but it just came over me. I am going to miss them so much. And as frustrating as it is everyday to try and get them to focus, to sit down, to stop yelling...its even more frustrating to get to know them and then leave them.
Porque?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment