Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Muy Cansada

One of my favorite photos.

Yuri, the twins-Jessica and Diana, and Juan Carlos.

Chicas enjoying sandia.


Sports Day, look at that view!



The work week is definitely harder than I expected it to be.
And the weekends more active and exciting than I expected.


Seño Kate (Australia, 25) and I took over our classes this week. Solo. Eeeeeeek!

This means no help from Seño Doreen. Lesson planning has proved to be tedious and the children finish every project so quickly! We must come up with some new ideas soon. The little ones (5/6) need a new activity almost every 15 minutes. There is only so much coloring one can stand. We have used lots of papel de china (tissue paper) as well...but the glue has proved to be QUITE messy. All the childrens´fingers are stuck together at the end of class-haha. They love to play and fruit break is CRAZY!!!!! They are all so tough and rough house like nothing I have ever seen before. And hardly EVER cry.

Last week, we found out that a little girl (Nayeli) in our afternoon class hadn´t eaten ALL day. The only thing she had put in her mouth since dinner the night before was the orange we gave her at frutas break at 4PM. Now how is a 6 year old supposed to concentrate on an empty stomach??? We gave her some bread to eat and some to take home to her 2 brothers.

Heartbreaking.

They are all so happy and love school and love us. Hugs and kisses everyday at the beginning and end of the day. At fruit break...¨arriba, arriba!!¨ They want to be picked up and thrown around constantly.

Friday was Sports Day. SO MUCH FUN! We walk all of the kids about half a mile away to a huge field surrounded by beautiful active volcanoes and corn fields. The boys are super competitive with their futbol (soccer) and the girls just want to play with your hair and touch your face and make bracelets out of string. I have on a pink string necklace that one of the older girls made me that day ;)


Next week is my last week in Antigua and at the school in Santa Maria de Jesus. I was the little one´s first teacher. A little sad...but excited for the next stop. Copañ, Honduras.


I have so many pics, but will only allow to upload 4 at a time....will try for more soon! Must run to Español Clase now!

Hasta Luego.


No comments: