Saturday, February 21, 2009

Want to Meet Them?

Ruben, a charming 6-year old in my class. He waves to me with one finger and is constantly smiling. I caught him with a half empty bag of something at Recreo the other day. I asked what he was eating and he poured a pile of sugar into my hand! haha. He always wears this Mickey Mouse hat too :) I thought this picture was great...because they boys were throwing their oranges to the cow after they had finished. The cow LOVED them....


The boys. At Recreo, they all gather around this barbed-wired fence. They hang on it like it's no big deal and are constantly sneaking under it to run around in the open field below on the other side. I heard they had been throwing rocks at the cow this day....BOYS!

The girls. Lined up and ready to go inside. Carolina and Erica (the two school teachers) have all the kids line up outside before class starts and they check their hands and fingernails everyday. I think to make sure their nails are short and their hands clean?? Not sure.

One of the older boys eating his orange under the tree. Love the foggy background in this pic.



It has been quite a challenge teaching. It is, thus far, the hardest "job" I have ever had. I am sure the language barrier and the malnourishment amongst the children has a little something to do with the difficulty...but it is TOUGH. The little ones need a new activity every 15 minutes or so. But when they can't read or write you have to dig deep into your creative self to come up with fun ideas. I have now learned my vowels twice in the past month and a half. Teaching A, E, I, O, U (mayuscula and minuscula) to both my class in Guatemala and my class here in Honduras. There are only so many words in Spanish that begin with the letter "O" that I can draw. Ojos (eyes).
I often sit back, frustrated, watching the room. It is like a sea of movement. Constant movement. They do not understand the concept of being still. I looked over once to find Marko's feet where his head should be. I couldn't help but bust into laughter. You have to laugh. They are 5 and 6 years old. And while I can't fully remember myself at that age...I know my hyper ADHD self probably acted in the same way. I remember my father always telling me as a child: "Leigh, quit flitting around! Be still." Impossible.
So, everyday...I must remember my small self and look at these kids and remember to smile....not reprimand. And I must remember that this 4 hour and 45 minute morning may be the only time in their day that they get to be a kid. Just a kid. And I must try and be creative, put all I have into planning, and make class FUN for them.
I'm trying....

No comments: