I am here. In Antigua, Guatemala --three days now! The city is beautiful and the volunteers are great. Most in their early to mid-twenties and early thirties and from all over the world. Australia, Canada, Ireland, Philly, the UK, Chicago, Scotland, Spain. Some have been traveling for a while...and for some Guatemala is their first stop. I am staying with Silvia. She is a 60-something year old widow who lives in Candeleria, just outside of the city. She is hosting myself and a young married couple from Canada. Troy a firefighter and Nicole a Civil Engineer, quit their jobs, sold their house and decided to travel the world for year. They will be volunteering their time in most of the countries they will visit.
Today was the first day of intensive Spanish lessons. Starting at 8AM and ending at 3PM everyday this week, we are learning one-on-one. So no dozing off! We study outside, which is nice. The weather is quite cool in the morning and evenings and lovely mid-day.
Desayuno with the host family was served at ten till 7AM. Not so used to that... A whole roasted plantain and a tiny spoonful of frijoles negra were on the menu. Not quite used to that either! Silvia packed me a lunch of papaya and crema and dos jamon sandwiches for lunch at school today. The fruit here is muy bueno!
Antigua is very colonial looking and so vibrantly colorful. The doors to almost every building are so intricate and beautiful and the indigenous dress is very very cool. Flowers everywhere, cobblestone streets and two active volcanos are part of the scenery.
I have not taken the camera out much, as we were warned not to "flaunt" the electronics. I am DYING to get behind the lense and capture this place to show you all. As soon as I can, I will try and post some photos.
Hasta luego for now....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Leigh, that sounds so incredible. I am jealous! Please take pictures as soon as you can. Sending much love to you from NYC,
Howie
Leigh! So glad that you made it safely! The home situation sounds good! Are you two able to communicate? You have to promise to speak Spanish with me when you get back – otherwise I’ll NEVER learn. :) Can’t wait to see photos. Stay safe. LYLAS, Dena
Luttrell!! I'm so glad you made it safely! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait to see pictures! I'm missing you lover...Love you!
Post a Comment